Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Bitcoin miners may create an energy park near the Olkaria power station’s new industrial zone.

Kenya’s largest electricity generator, KenGen, has revealed efforts to lure Bitcoin miners to geothermal energy. According to the report, the company will sell its excess geothermal electricity to miners.

Kenya has no cryptocurrency mining farms at the moment. However, it’s thought that the corporation is contacting Bitcoin miners in the United States and Europe regarding energy purchases. The initiative aligns with a larger industry push to reduce carbon emissions from crypto mining facilities.

KenGen is the country’s largest electricity provider, claiming to have 86 percent renewable energy (including hydro, wind, and geothermal), with the remaining 14 percent thermal.

It has not revealed the amount of spare capacity distributed to Bitcoin miners.

Miners will be housed at an energy park at the company’s main geothermal power facility in Olkaria, Naivasha, around 123 kilometers from Nairobi. Peketsa Mwangi, the company’s geothermal development director, said in an interview,

“We have the space and the power is near, which helps with stability.”

Climate change has become the most talked-about topic following China’s largest crackdown on bitcoin mining operations.

While some organizations may not have completely relocated their headquarters, many have found more welcoming jurisdictions in the United States and other areas of Europe.

While Kenya does not have any mining companies, its estimated geothermal energy capacity of 10,000 MegaWatt (MW) makes it an excellent hub.

Show CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment

The leader in blockchain news, Cryptowatchlists is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. Cryptowatchlists is an independent online newspaper, which concentrate in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.
Our Biggest Stories Delivered to Your Inbox